World’s Most Expensive Islands 2013
Here is a top 5 of the World’s Most Expensive Islands as of 2013-2014.
Although we have already talked about the $221 million apartment in London or the $125 million in New York it was time to get serious and take a look at what billionaires, not millionaires, afford to buy!
Of course we’re talking about owning a big peace of this planet we call home, somewhere nobody can bother you: Your private island!
Here is out top 5 World’s Most Expensive Islands!
#5 D’Arros Island, Seychelles. ~ Price: $94 million
What was once the property of prince Shahram Pahlavi Nia of Iran since 1975, the island was bought in 1998 by an undisclosed owner since then revealed, by French tax authorities, to be the World’s Richest Woman 2013: Liliane Bettencourt. In August 2012 the island was sold once again and it is now valued at $94 million.
#4 Ronde Island, Grenada. ~ Price: $100 million
Back in 2007 when it was listed for sale at $100 million, Ronde Island was considered the most expensive island. It is still up for sale so if you have the cash you might become the owner of this incredible island.
#3 Necker Island, British Virgin Islands. ~ Price: $100 million
This beauty is owned by Sir Richard Branson, famous for his Virgin brand, and it is part of the Virgin Limited Edition portfolio of luxury properties. The island has everything needed to acomodate up to 28 guests in an amazing resort-like athmosfere. The property for which Sir Branson paid only £175,000( $275,000) at that time turned out to be an amazing personal project. With over 3 years of hard work and somewhere around $10 million the place turned amazing and it is now cashing in around $60,000 per night.
#2 Lisbon Island, Portugal. ~ Price: $310 million
Located just 300m of the cost of Lisbon. this island covers over 3,000 acres. Although originally listed at $350 million, the price varied in time and is now at $310 million. Until the listing of Lanai it stood tall as the world’s most expensive island.
#1 Lanai Island, Hawaii. ~ Price: $610 million
In June 2012, Oracle Corporation CEO Larry Ellison purchased Castle & Cooke’s 98 percent share of the island. The state owns the remaining 2 percent. This skyrocketed Lanai Island at the top of our rankings making it the Most Expensive Island In The World! Ellison’s plan is to invest up to another $500 million to truly develop the island infrastructure and it’s agricultural potential.
I hope you found useful our top 5! Let us know which one is your favorite and if you had the money, would you buy an island?